Carer's Allowance

If you care for someone in their own home if you are sick or disabled may be entitled to carer's allowance . If you are a carer 's allowance , other benefits may be reduced or increased . In some cases, affected individuals may be benefits to care for .
Note : This leaflet is a brief summary of the carer 's allowance and for guidance only . It does not cover all situations , nor does it include a full statement of the law . Further , more detailed information is given at the end of the source .

Not every carer is eligible for Carer's Allowance. This is because there are certain rules which apply to the carer, and to the person being cared for. The rules include the following.

Regarding the person you care for

The person you are caring for must be receiving one of the following benefits which are paid to them because they need care:
  • Attendance Allowance.
  • Or the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance, paid at the middle or higher rate.
  • Or Constant Attendance Allowance with:
    • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (at, or above, the normal maximum rate).
    • Or War Disablement Pension (at the basic full day rate or above).
If the person you care for is not receiving one of the above benefits, and you are spending a lot of time caring for them, then they are likely to be entitled to one of these benefits and they should claim. This will give them extra money and also enable you to claim Carer's Allowance.

But note: certain benefits for the person you care for can reduce if you get Carer's Allowance.

Regarding the carer

It does not matter if you (the carer) are related to the ill or disabled person, or whether you live in the same household. For example, you could care for a relative who lives with you. Or, for example, you could care for a friend or neighbour who lives in a different home from you. However:
  • You must be aged over 16.
  • You must be spending at least 35 hours a week looking after the ill or disabled person. You do not need to care for the person every day - just for 35 hours or more per week.
  • You must have lived in Great Britain for two of the last three years.
  • You must be in Great Britain when you claim Care Allowance, and Great Britain must be your normal home. 
  • You cannot get Carer's Allowance if you earn more than £100 per week after tax.
  • You cannot get Carer's Allowance if you are on a course of full-time education, or you are on holiday from full-time education. Full-time education means a course which is described as full-time by the educational establishment providing it. However, note that if the educational establishment describes the course as part-time, but attendance is required for 21 hours or more each week, it will be treated as full-time.
  The standard rate of Carer's Allowance is £59.75 a week (April 2013 rate). Payment is usually made directly into a bank account, building society account, Post Office account, or National Savings account. But note:
  • Carer's Allowance is a taxable benefit.
  • A benefit cap is being introduced during 2013 limiting the total amount of benefit that most people from 16-64 can be paid.
  • Also, as mentioned, the person cared for may have a reduction in certain benefits if you receive Carer's Allowance.
You will normally get an NI contribution added to your NI record for each week you get Carer's Allowance.

You need, or someone on your behalf needs, to complete a claim form. To get a claim form:
  • Telephone the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 88 22 00, Monday to Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.
  • Contact the Carer's Allowance Unit (details below).
  • Download one from GOV.UK (details below).
  • If you live in Northern Ireland, you can download one from the nidirect website (details below).
You should tell the Carer's Allowance Unit about any change of circumstances, as it may affect what you are paid.